Whirlpool..............

jhm123452000

Myself and two friends fished the whirlpool this morning................fished from 4:00 to 7:00am............no takers not a thing...............seen a couple jump though.........I'll be trying next Fri again..........should be a few more fish there by then...........JHM

682[/snapback]

Thanks for the report.

What sort of methods were you using at the Whirlpool during this time of year? Is it possible to float fish it using a slip-float setup, or do you guys usually try using a 3-way / pencil lead bottom rig? If there's an overcast day next week, I might try there and I will report back here.

Cheers,

JFL

Guest Bait Tester

Was there a couple days ago, with same report, some porpoising no hits. Tossing the usual lures, tried bottom bouncing with roe - same result . Really a lot of weeds and vegetation on and near bottom. Slip floats may be an ideal approach, but would appear to be very early for this far upstream. Any one else's observations or reports welcome.

Thanks,

Bait Tester

Hey JFL...........Myself I've never fished floats in the Whirlpool so I'm not of any help to you............I'm sure they would work enough people use them..........From my experiece I find the majority of Salmon are near bottom..........I fish with glow spoons, skien and split shots or Canadian wigglers..............Wiggler's are a lot of fun if you can find the right current...........You might want to wait a couple days before you go down there the waters very murky from all that rain...............Good luck ....JHM

I have slipped floated for the kings down in the whirlpool, but I typically wait until the run is in full swing. I usually use skein or large roe bags.

Its been a few years though. :Gonefishing:

The best technique early is to throw flutter spoons, and overcast days seem to be the ticket with spoon action!

Theres nothing that compares to the hit of a 20lb chinook slamming a flutter spoon, nearly taking your arm off!

The water should be better soon. The upper was discusting after that wind storm and then the rain. I've never seen the algea that thick. I went to the peace bridge this morning after work and it seemed to be clearing up nice but it going to take awhile for all that algea to settle in the lake. Good thing I bought those waders finnally. It was real discusting there for a couple of days.

Guys, thanks for all of the helpful input and suggestions, I've only visited your area a few times, but it is very exciting and scenic (& borderline treacherous).

Since the system is so big, are the Kings more silvery than other L. Ontario Tribs, or do they still have that tarnished / brassy look? In any case, I'll be making the trip down soon. For the record, the Lake Huron tribs are in need of a big rain, though the Saugeen does have fish. Enclosed is a photo of a fish I released back in mid-August. Our Kings are small, 18-24lbs would be considered big :Gonefishing:

Chinook.jpg

Guest SkeinMachine

All shape's and size's JFL.

Mainly greenish tinge right now,some bronze,also some silver's too.

Not uncommon to hit 20 fish in a morning,while only landing 2 or 3.

Prepare to get your butt smoked!!! :worthy:

Fish use the current to their full advantage.

6-8 lb carbon lead's are the norm.

Received/replyed to your PM.

Archived