Whats the biggest fish you've caught?

scottydog

33lb King and 14.5 bow from the Maid of Mist area. 7lb brookie and 50" northern pike in Algonquin park, 8lb walleye at Queenston. 26lb laker at the mouth of Jordan harbour. Skunked in Costa Rica. 26lb Northern just outside of Polar Bear P.P.

jjcanoe

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

42 lb chinook from the Credit in 1984

21 lb rainbow from Bowmanville Creek in 1986

Tons of chinny's in the 30+ lb range as I primarily downrig all summer long - largest entered in Sun derby was 36.4lbs.

Sad thing is that cold water species are on the decline - the rainbow runs in the early 80's were 3x as large as they currently are today. For example, the Ganny run in 1984 topped 18,000 fish - last years tally was just over 6,600 fish. I honestly think that Ontario should impose a 2 fish limit on rainbows as currently exists on Georgian Bay. It certainly has turned things around there. Also, NY state is reviewing a 2 fish limit on Lake Ontario - food for thought.....

PS - I throw back all the fish I catch in the rivers, streams, or lake except for those which I feel would contend with a derby (if I entered one).

Cheers

My question is how many people actually keep their limit with trout from lake ontario i doubt it could be enough to significantly impact the population. Its more than likely its weather related or an invading species like the lamprey.

3.5lb perch! That is the new Ontario record? Do you document it?

i caught a 3 and a half pound perch last spring... i got a picture of it id like to post, just dont have the connection to put it on to my computer as of yet... im kinda still a rookie fisherman... this is only my 3 rd season really. 

28 inch steelhead...

on the same day at small boat harbor last spring i caught 2 bass

19 inch 5 lb small mouth...

18 inch 4.2 lb large

they were chillin right by the shore on the first day of bass season... iwas hitting them in the face with a jig for 10 minute  before they bit it in defense of thier nets

13413[/snapback]

Sad thing is that cold water species are on the decline - the rainbow runs in the early 80's were 3x as large as they currently are today.  For example, the Ganny run in 1984 topped 18,000 fish - last years tally was just over 6,600 fish.  I honestly think that Ontario should impose a 2 fish limit on rainbows as currently exists on Georgian Bay.  It certainly has turned things around there.  Also, NY state is reviewing a 2 fish limit on Lake Ontario - food for thought.....

13568[/snapback]

one question i do not know the answer ...

have they possibly cut back on stocking???

Sad thing is that cold water species are on the decline - the rainbow runs in the early 80's were 3x as large as they currently are today. For example, the Ganny run in 1984 topped 18,000 fish - last years tally was just over 6,600 fish. I honestly think that Ontario should impose a 2 fish limit on rainbows as currently exists on Georgian Bay. It certainly has turned things around there. Also, NY state is reviewing a 2 fish limit on Lake Ontario - food for thought.....

13568[/snapback]

Just to clarify, New York is not considering a 2 fish limit. There was a proposal on the table to lower the lake limit on steelhead to 1 fish, but that met with so much opposition that it was dropped in favor of raising the minimum size for steelhead to 21". What happened there was a year or two ago, the NY Tributary fishermen asked for a creel reduction in the tribs to only allow 1 steelhead in the 3 fish limit and that was put into place with our new license year back in October 2004. Then those same trib fishermen tried to impose their will on the lake fishermen and force the same restrictions on them and were met with a resounding NFW. So now it looks like the reg change is the increased size limit on steelhead. So as of right now, it will remain the current 3-3-1 (3 chinook. coho, brown and rainbow in any combination) + 3 lake trout with a "25"-"30" slot limit + 1 Atlantic Salmon min size 25".

The only other take limit change being considered is the lake trout take. The Charter guys on the Eastern end of Lake Ontario wanted the slot limit removed on the lakers, because therye were concerned that they were killing too many slot fish having to sort through them to get their 3 keepers for their clients, especially when they are dredging bottom in 140+ feet of water in the summer. And they felt they would kill less fish if they boxed their first 3 and called it rather than cathing 10+ slot fish for every keeper. The DEC has data to show that the mortality wasn't what they feared, and was unwilling to drop the slot, but as a compromise, there is a proposal on the table to lower the laker limit to 2 fish but allow 1 of those 2 to be in the current slot.

Just wanted to clear that up.

Thanks,

Tim

p.s. It might be time for the Ontario MNR to consider lowering the Trout/Salmon limits on the Sportfishing licenses from the current 5 fish. Something to think about anyways.

Weighed in a 36lb salmon out of port credit druring the sun salmon durby about 5 years ago. The funny thing is i did not even place in the top 10 for the week. On the last day of that week i was bumped off the board by one ounce. The kicker is last years durby a 36lb salmon was the biggest one caught.......i wonder what that means. salmon gettin smaller or just a bad size year :o

biggest pike 16lbs esnagamie lodge

eye just over 8 quinte

bow 17 1/2 during the durby. lead for a week L.ontario

musky 16lbs havlock

bass smally 5.4 trent

large mouth 6.6 from the trent

carp 22lbs pickering power plant

brown 14lbsx2 pickering power plant and port D

I have some great pics if i ever figure out how to post them

Backwoods

Guest bigfish1965

Salmon are definitely smaller because of the lack of alewife and smelt. We used to see mid 40's salmon all the time in the early-mid eighties. My best was a 42 but saw some bigger. These days 36 is a monster.

Thanks Tim for the clarification about the NY state situation. I was reading on the Oswego board about the proposed changes in Dec/04.

As far as the comment about how many people keep their 5 trout limit, you'd be very surprised about the results. Check with charter boat operators as they'll tell you that most people will keep their limit more so for a show and tell. I'm sure quite a few end up as compost or fertilizer. The east end of the lake in summer gets invaded by anglers from Quebec who do keep everything they catch however I'm sure that they are eating everything they keep.

A reduction in the catch should be reviewed as I do not believe that weather has such an impact on the decreased fish population. Query the MNR creel study on the Ganaraska River or any other river where they performed counts and you'll see a straight line decline (with the exception of 1998) on rainbows.

Most anglers wouldn't balk at a reduced quantity I'm sure as how many people would keep 5 trout/salmon per trip? That is a lot of fish to eat!

This is my walleye from Queenston, to date its the biggest fish I've landed and I had it mounted by Ray Robinson who did an amazing job imo. The fish was weighed 4 times and we got 6.5lbs,8,8,and 9.2 so we settled on 8 its 27" and not a clue for the girth.

walleye1yq3er.jpg

150 pound striped marlin...Cabo san lucas

25 pound musky....near Norwood, ontario

6 pound bass..stoney lake

27 pound carp in Lakefield, ontario

18 pound steelie...niagara river

22 pound salmon...bronte creek

Hoping for many more this year!!

That's a nice Pickeral Flywire .......great mount job too ! Us ole timers still call them pickeral instead of walleye ...sounds too "americanny" . You were telling about that "eye" at the swill ....nice to see the pic . I think you were the youngest guy there at 17 yrs....and I was prob. the oldest.....3x plus your age ;) Hell, my kid is 2x plus your age :blink: It's great too see all the young whippersnappers getting into fishing ! Hey, hope you didn't pay over $20 for that eye to be mounted....... :lol: Just think....in 2 more years I can buy you a beer !

TOMMY ........33 years old & that's the biggest "eye" you ever caught ?????? :lol: Well....I'm 62 and got one 11lbs 1 oz ........I give you some tips !! :blink: Did you have it taxidermified ?? Nice fish Tommy !

Biggest: 60 lb sturgeon in the Menominee River in Wisconsin

Biggest Salmon 38 lbs off the Olcott Pier

Lots of other salmon in the 30's over the years, too many to count,

Carp 32 lbs

2 northerns over 25 lbs, 1 in 18mile creek at Olcott, the other off the Pier at the mouth of the Menominee River in Wisconsin (though technically off the pier on the Michigan side of the River where it dumps into Green Bay)

30 lb catfish (again on the Menominee River Pier)

Tim

13408[/snapback]

Sorry about that other post guys.

I was lucky enough to have been the engineer on several "superyachts" before coming to Canada. One Skipper was a fishing nut like myself. If we moved the boat, we fished. Sometimes with the owner aboard. 100% stand-up (no fighting chairs)My personal bests:

Blue Marlin 350 lbs Bermuda (and absolutely smashed up by some MONSTERS

Black Marlin 300lbs Cairns

Yellowfin Tuna 260 (and 240 30 mins later!) halfway between Tahiti/Panama

Bigeye Tuna 300 halfway between Tahiti/Panama

Bull Shark 275 Bahamas

Halibut 134 Juneau (alone in a 21'Boston Whaler!)

and a 48" Muskie in Pigeon Lake

Guest Duker

Well.....i guess although i catch lots of fish i never catch much big stuff. 15 pound musky, lots of 10-20 pound salmon, and 20 pound lakers from the niagara. Oh!! a 18' Pro-V is my biggest catch.

Duke

Archived