Musky

Brett

Had the great pleasure of fishing with my good buddy Johnny Dadson, owner of Dadson Blade baits

Got this beauty casting one of Johnny's hand made double bladed baits with a maribou tail last night

1.jpg

If you are going to chase these majestic fish you owe it to them to carry a few items on the boat

first would be a large enough net to be able to allow them to lay flat in it, remain in the water for immediate recooperation. Musky battle differently than most species with violent short bursts of eneregy, leaving them totally exhausted very quickly. Key to a succesfull release is allowing them to remain in the water, head underwater, while unhooking them and while you get ready for the photo op.

Bringing a fish into the boat to unhook it is a death sentence, especially in the summer with high water temps, they won't make it.

Second most important item is a good set of cutters. It will save you a huge amount of time on a badly hooked fish if you cut through the hooks to clear the bait out of harms way. Replacing a hook takes seconds. Not only time saving, it'll save you from disaster. If the fish trashes, and believe me, they've got a ton of power, it'll drive those hooks deep into you. Being pinned to a fish, and the net without cutters won't be good.

2.jpg

Here is a good pic showing where to place your hands. Put your fingers only under the first part of flesh on the gill plate, not touching the gills.

Do not lift the fish from the water any further than this without placing your other hand under it's belly. Not supporting the weight with the second hand will pop the vertebrae causing delayed mortality. Don't remove that hand from under the fish until you place it back in the water.

3.jpg

There are a good number of very young fish in the Niagara now. The poplulation was previously devistated. If you ever dream of seeing a fish like this locally, we should all be agreeing on the common sense it takes to successfully release these babies.

Please leave them in the water to revive while unhooking them and only remove them for a few seconds for a quick photo, when the camera and camera man is ready to roll.

There are a great bunch of guys that meet in North Tonawanda, first Tuesday of every month.Twenty minutes or less from the Rainbow Bridge. They have unbelievable discounts on the nets you need and the knipex cutters which are hands down the best on the market.

These guys will cut your learning curve and save you a ton of money, by steering you away from buying a lot of useless baits.

There is a bar for beverages and a great deal on huge wings.

My link

Nice fish! Got one on the pin 2 weeks ago on the upper ,wicked fight on the pin to.However fighting with lite tackle really stressed the fish. I ended up reviving it for about 10 - 15 mins before it was spunky and redy to go. Took off like a bat outta hell.

Guest NiagaraNewbie

WOW!!! what a monster...that could eat the Steelhead I just caught, lol!! I dont fish for muskie, but it looks like fun. Thanks for all the tips, well received.

Archived