Fish Are Confused, Im Confused

bigugli

It's the beginning of May and the the fish aren't where they should be by now, Some spawned earky due to lack of winter. Some are now behind due to cold water temps.

After 6 hours of sunburning I was glad to catch a handful of large Bluegills over the course of the day.

Untitled.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Saw some spotted gar doing the spawning dance up on Gibson.

Also saw numerous folks targetting and landing several bass.

Nice bluegills! Hopefully I will be able to catch a spotter gar this year. Have never seen one besides aquariums;)

Take a trip up to Moira River in Belleville, Ontario. It is a great place for gar.

I was back in London for the weekend and we had several gar sightings over the past two days...lost count at over 10. Biggest one was probably over 30"! It looked like they were going after the smallie nests.

We only brought carping gear with us so we didn't bother to target any of them. Noticed that many of them also came to the surface...are topwater lures good for gar?

top water lures work for gar but most ppl get them on minnows

you should wrap the hooks with a fuzzy rope or thread for gar so it gets caught in their teeth the teeth are angled backwords so u lose them easy

Same story at the pool with the rainbows....

I was down at the pool on Saturday and was surprised at the amount of action. I figured because I was there in early march and catching them that it would have slowed down significantly. I was only there for about an hour but had numerous hits and one on. Very strange.

Take a trip up to Moira River in Belleville, Ontario. It is a great place for gar.

I fished the Moira last year just outside of Shannonville by the old mill and it seems as though there are a ton of species there. Now you say Gar too!.....Hmmmmm.

Nice Gills Bruce, I am thinking of fishing today now, I wanna catch some fish, not sure where I wanna go yet.

I fished the Moira last year just outside of Shannonville by the old mill and it seems as though there are a ton of species there. Now you say Gar too!.....Hmmmmm.

Head upstream from the Bay to the first dam. Gar like it shallow and hot. Look for them in the pools in 1-2 ft.

Head upstream from the Bay to the first dam. Gar like it shallow and hot. Look for them in the pools in 1-2 ft.

Never fished for Gar. I saw one once when I was younger and I thought I had discovered a new species or a Dinosaur!. Top water lures or spinner bait?

They will hit anything that resembles a minnow. Top water or plugs seem to work well.

@Horrorshowrot - They are supposed to be quite fun on the fly. Some say second only to Bonefish.

Bruce; spotted gar you say?? Positive identification or possibly just of the longnose variety?

Being 6' away, and in 1' depth of clear water, I got a real good look at the markings

Archived