Google Earth (Maps)

smerchly

It looks like they updated the maps . The new map now shows the new hospital as of 5-5-15 . The old map showed detailed weed growth at Martindale & Port Dal . ,etc . The new maps are fuzzy and show no detail . I can't correct this problem .......any solution ?

The "fuzziness" has to do with the resolution that Google uses. Some areas they use very high resolutions while in other areas where interest is going to be lower, they use lower resolutions. I tried getting up close to my grandparent's old farm, but can't, while downtown Toronto will let you count people on the sidewalks.

I checked out my hood and it's very poor resolution ....are they trying to save money using crappy pictures ? The street view is good ....shows my house at May 2014 . With better technology one would think we would have better updated pictures .....maybe it a safety thing , not showing too much detail for the crooks ....... :dunno:

Google Earth pro is now free, try downloading the pro version....much higher resolutions. When you install pro, use your email address as the sign in name and GEPFREE as the password.

Here's the thing with all that stuff. Google/Bing/Whoever buy rights to use the satellite images. There's no Google Streetview camera cars in space, only existing providers. What you will find is that the highest resolution images are of areas that interest foreign governments, the people who originally start the outer space peeping tom program. If you can live with imagery from 2010, google for "niagara navigator". The region has a very very good, freely available GIS system with 5 generations of aerial photography that is very high res and just cool to play with.Even better, here's a link:

http://maps.niagararegion.ca/Navigator/

:worthy: Thanks Corey , those maps are great ! I bookmarked it and have been checking it out ....good detail , and the 1934 maps blows me away !!....brings back a lot of old memories while looking at downtown St.Catharines , following the 12 Mile up to Lake Gibson , looking at old Port Dalhousie where the canal crossed Ontario St. & Lake St. , & looking at the old ships at Rennie Park & our old playground , Michigan Beach which is now a marina . It's great to see these old pictures with good clarity !

On a slightly related note, the Google street view car was seen 3 days ago in downtown St. Catharines. Might get some new general area photos soon via that route,

I signed an on line petition , gave them my email addy & received a link to one of last remaining classic Google maps which has good resolution. They needed 10,000 signatures.....

https://www.google.com/maps/myplaces?dg=feature

Archived