Credit Cards

smerchly

I didn't know this until I asked at my bank today .  I have the little magic square on my 2 cards that you hold over the store's 'tap'  button , and presto ...paid ! 

I asked the bank cashier if I lost my debit card  which has a $100 limit per tap ,could someone use it more than once if they went from store to store ? 

Unfortunately , she said yes ,they could  use the card repeatedly up the the cards total $1000 limit , per day . 

The 'tap' is handy to use , but now I'm thinking of dropping it and use my pin for everything .  I'm with First Ontario Credit Union . ( 60 yrs ago )

How about you guys ?  

I would never use my bank card for tapping purposes. No way I want that data out there.

I have a wallymart card with a designed low limit I can use to tap with. It’s there

if needed. However I still use cash for everything.

9 minutes ago, Captain Hooksets said:

I’m bad for it. As Chubbs Peterson and Happy Gilmore said “ just give it a little tappy, tap tap tap-a-roo. 

I use my phone for tapping.  Don’t even need a bank card  anymore or a wallet 

My card came in handy when I didn't have enough cash to pay for my fish'n chips a while back . I didn't expect a sudden  15% price increase so I used my debit card .  I don't do facebook ,tweeter , texting , etc., so my old dinosaur flip phone will do until they can the service . 

With the new G5 tecnology  I believe the government will eventually have access to everything on the phones including bank accounts .

The truckers had some experience with that .......( eye in the sky is watching us ) .

Knightfisher.....I  believe using cash will disappear as time goes by (taxes) ... Kijiji , etc.  might disappear but we can still barter ?   

Tyler ...I'll trade you one mirror for 3 cats !    :rolleyes:

Mastercard and visa cards are zero liability to its users. If fraud happens on those cards, they will immediately refund your account and open a claim with the merchant. Debit cards work the opposite. The liability is yours and you have to prove the fraud yourself before you get a refund. Good luck with that.

Just now, Markster said:

Mastercard and visa cards are zero liability to its users. If fraud happens on those cards, they will immediately refund your account and open a claim with the merchant. Debit cards work the opposite. The liability is yours and you have to prove the fraud yourself before you get a refund. Good luck with that.

Thanks for that info Markster  .  I've been using C.T. Mastercard for many years with no problems , and I always pay my tab in full to avoid interest charges &

I can pay at the checkout as I pay for other purchases , and we get points wherever we use the card. ( 5 cents on gas)

We use the debit mostly for food  . They have changed the monthly amounts on paying  the account minimum payments ,about 3 times more per month . My last bill was  $165 and they want  over $45 .compared to $10 on much higher amounts previously  .  

Thanks Dave ....another monet grab if they get away with it , and a tax on a tax is nothing new in Canada . They think we have lots of extra money saved after two years of going to nowheresville . I read that we pay the highest fees for cell phones and cable  than other countries .  I  may end up using my debit card for everything . We still write cheques for some things .  

4 hours ago, smerchly said:

Thanks Dave ....another monet grab if they get away with it , and a tax on a tax is nothing new in Canada . They think we have lots of extra money saved after two years of going to nowheresville . I read that we pay the highest fees for cell phones and cable  than other countries .  I  may end up using my debit card for everything . We still write cheques for some things .  

I'm sure if this goes through every Tom, Dick and Harry will want to pass along the credit card's fee to the consumer

Thats interesting what Telus is doing.
they are going to the gov asking permission because That is actually against policy of both major credit card networks (mc and visa) and could result in their inability to use the networks if they do. They are doing it because they are charged that amount, as whats called a discount fee, of merchants by the networks. (Every transaction performed by a merchant with a credit card is billed the discount fee by the networks) i.e. telus charges you for 100 bucks, mastercard gets a buck fifty, the telus gets 98.50.

debit, which is interact, gets a flat .45 cents for the same transaction.

solution to this problem? Leave telus.

Just now, Markster said:

Smerch, you can blame the increase to the monthly minimum on the financial consumer industry of canada.
the credit card companies would be happy with your 10 buck monthly min - they just ride you further.

Thanks for that info Markster ,  I haven't paid interest on anything for many decades so I'm not their ideal client . 

We are really getting hit with higher prices , less quantities and questionable advertising ....funny how they still have "only $999.99" when we have no pennies .

In today's H.H. flyer some "great deals" say , 'priced in store'  .  You can be sure it's not such a great deal if they won't give us the price in the flyer .

But I have to say , the economy looks fine as the ball/hockey stadiums are filled to capacity , pubs are thriving well , crowds everywhere ......

Now .....to pay off my $1400+ M.C .... at the bank !   

I'll have to add another $400. to that  ..... I called "Just Junk" to remove a 45 year old freezer (still works , but leaks) , and an old fridge from my basements (10 steps straight down) I removed all the doors and hardware and took  2 doors off hinges and the bannister for easier removal . Bill came to about $395. & I added a $20 tip since they busted their back getting up those %@#&*#!@!!!  stairs !  The government even makes $$$ from"junk" . It's nice to have more room for my tackle shop !   B)

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

I'll have to add another $400. to that  ..... I called "Just Junk" to remove a 45 year old freezer (still works , but leaks) , and an old fridge from my basements (10 steps straight down) I removed all the doors and hardware and took  2 doors off hinges and the bannister for easier removal . Bill came to about $385. & I added a $20 tip since they busted their back getting up those %@#&*#!@!!!  stairs !  The government even makes $$$ from"junk" . It's nice to have more room for my tackle shop !   B)

Smerch, are there not any scrappers around to come and get it for free ?  In my neck of the woods I put appliances at the curb and someone just comes and gets it…..I don’t even have to make a call.  I put my old fridge out 3 weeks ago, gone in less than an hour ! Free! 

you are right Capt.....I have put many items out at the curb , from flower bulbs to old appliances . Some guy comes by regularly and picks up any metal item left there , usually the same day .  But these two items were very heavy to bring up from the basement stairs . I would never ask anyone to do that . I'm glad to see it gone !  

43 minutes ago, smerchly said:

you are right Capt.....I have put many items out at the curb , from flower bulbs to old appliances . Some guy comes by regularly and picks up any metal item left there , usually the same day .  But these two items were very heavy to bring up from the basement stairs . I would never ask anyone to do that . I'm glad to see it gone !  

Next time you need a hand with something heavy like that you let me know. We will get it to your curb. Save you some money for more fishing tackle $$$$ :) 

11 hours ago, Captain Hooksets said:

Next time you need a hand with something heavy like that you let me know. We will get it to your curb. Save you some money for more fishing tackle $$$$ :) 

Yes I could buy a nice rod & reel for that money (less a case of beer for the movers)   :thx:

I paid by debit , and before I ok'd the total amount including taxes , the screen asked what amount of tip I would 'like' to pay . At least the tip wasn't taxed (yet) until it's added to their wages .....

Time for a fishing break today ....need to wet that Husky Jerk  again at Port Dal !  ( & get beer....never come home empty handed )

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

Yes I could buy a nice rod & reel for that money (less a case of beer for the movers)   :thx:

I paid by debit , and before I ok'd the total amount including taxes , the screen asked what amount of tip I would 'like' to pay . At least the tip wasn't taxed (yet) until it's added to their wages .....

Time for a fishing break today ....need to wet that Husky Jerk  again at Port Dal !  ( & get beer....never come home empty handed )

Good luck out there today smerch. 

2 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Good luck out there today smerch. 

Lost my fav.husky jerk !   :(  (with tears)  I tried the dam ...second cast ,snagged bottom ...bye bye Husky One !  The bottom there is bad .  Then they open the dam & the water came rushing down ....so good bye Dam(n) !  I forgot to take some small salties for perch so I grabbed a coffee and looked for minnows (none) then headed home. Next run ,,,,,el carpo !   B)

23 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Lost my fav.husky jerk !   :(  (with tears)  I tried the dam ...second cast ,snagged bottom ...bye bye Husky One !  The bottom there is bad .  Then they open the dam & the water came rushing down ....so good bye Dam(n) !  I forgot to take some small salties for perch so I grabbed a coffee and looked for minnows (none) then headed home. Next run ,,,,,el carpo !   B)

I hate fishing snagalousie. Good luck with the carp on your next outing. 

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

I hate fishing snagalousie. Good luck with the carp on your next outing. 

That is where "Just Junk" dumps all their junk !   

I'd like to see the bottom mapped out with a good camera . During the winter the water clears up &  I've heard there some parts of old wooden boats on the bottom , plus tons of line and tackle .  ( Hence we have Peter's Tackle right around the corner )   B) 

We don't have this problem much with carp fishing ....the odd hook  , a few weights & swivels..... 

On 8/15/2022 at 4:16 PM, smerchly said:

That is where "Just Junk" dumps all their junk !   

I'd like to see the bottom mapped out with a good camera . During the winter the water clears up &  I've heard there some parts of old wooden boats on the bottom , plus tons of line and tackle .  ( Hence we have Peter's Tackle right around the corner )   B) 

We don't have this problem much with carp fishing ....the odd hook  , a few weights & swivels..... 

I guarantee you there are a ton of rusted out cars in that harbour ... was very easy to get a little too close to the water there on both sides.

On 8/12/2022 at 6:38 AM, dave524 said:

It is a legitimate request since the credit card merchants take a cut when you use their services, you as a user only pay the fees if you get a card that has an annual fee or fail to pay your bill in full.  That being said this is going to be a slippery slope since if this is approved, expect to see it occur to every other company in the realm of the telecoms since our fake market of competition, they all will try "something else" and whoever gets away with it they all switch to.