Bob's Lake Boat Accident

Three dead & 5 injured in night time accident .  I have had 2 close calls during daylight hours . The lakes are busier now with more & faster boats everywhere .

I would not fish after dark in most lakes . I don't know who is at fault here , there are no speed limits on the water in most areas . 

Tragic ! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C29MeM5iEnQ

9 hours ago, Port_D_Guy said:

Speeding/Drinking/No Lighting most likely culprits. 

My grand daughter told me today her cottage is about 30km west of Bob's Lake . She has seen her peaceful fishing lake turned into a speedway with larger boats and rented seadoos coming from a marina . She was driving her 14ft. tinner with her daughter when a larger boat crossed her bow and she almost ran into the tubers being pulled by the large boat . Her cottage is on a small island and a boat can appear very suddenly  in front of the dock. Our waterways have become a rich mans playground and small fishing vessels are a nuisance to them . The governments care less about the accidents , they make big bucks from tourists and the taxes from goods and services. It's nice to have small lakes where we have to portage to fish them. 

I wonder how many have their boater cards to show they've taken the test and are supposed to understand the rules about driving a motorboat? 

10 hours ago, bigugli said:

Almost impossible to fail that test.

By passing it easily, one cannot claim ignorance of the regulations then.

So would it be worse to break boating laws without the card or with?

Same with penalties. Worse with the card or without?

Very sad tragedy, most likely a series of unfortunate events all coming together at once. I'll wait to pass judgement until all the facts come out.

And yes the boating license is a joke.

On 5/21/2024 at 6:08 AM, Port_D_Guy said:

By passing it easily, one cannot claim ignorance of the regulations then.

So would it be worse to break boating laws without the card or with?

Same with penalties. Worse with the card or without?

How would you feel about a vehicle driver's test that was as easy  as the boater exam???  Or, perhaps an hunter's exam?

My kids passed the test at age 10.  One without looking at a book. The other with an open book test.

Driving a car and a boat aren't on the same level. 

So what's the point of the boaters card?

Would penalties increase not having one, especially causing an accident?

On 5/23/2024 at 6:20 AM, Port_D_Guy said:

Driving a car and a boat aren't on the same level. 

So what's the point of the boaters card?

Would penalties increase not having one, especially causing an accident?

The boaters card was always a money grab.  Secondly, misuse of either vehicle or vessel can prove to be lethal.  Third, the classes, not unlike many driving schools, merely teach how to pass the test. They have nothing to do with teaching competent operation of a vessel.