Sturgeon

Back from the Dollar ($ 1.25 store now) , my wife showed me a video of a guy catching a "5ft." sturgeon caught at Port Dal. There was a big crowd watching him going into the water to land it . They took a few pictures and "tossed' it back . It  must have been a great battle and may have weighed 40/50 lbs .

Nice to see them surviving  , I may toss some worm harnesses there tomorrow , looking for a rare eye meal .

Awesome fish. Gotta wonder if the MNR will go after him for the whole posing for pictures and manhandling of it. 

I may be wrong but isn’t it illegal to even take them out of the water to unhook them? 

7 hours ago, Ross said:

Awesome fish. Gotta wonder if the MNR will go after him for the whole posing for pictures and manhandling of it. 

I may be wrong but isn’t it illegal to even take them out of the water to unhook them? 

From what I understand they cannot leave the water, you definitely can not pose for pictures with them, and the torpedo release after that long out of the water was pretty bad.

I'm going out on a limb sort of speak and say most people fishing Port or local waters for whatever may bite, probably don't have a clue or  know the guide lines on handling a sturgeon.:Gonefishing:

50 minutes ago, knightfisher said:

I'm going out on a limb sort of speak and say most people fishing Port or local waters for whatever may bite, probably don't have a clue or  know the guide lines on handling a sturgeon.:Gonefishing:

The fishing license is a joke. The only license I can’t think of off the top of my head that you don’t need to take a test for. Why isn’t it like a hunting license? 

45 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

The fishing license is a joke. The only license I can’t think of off the top of my head that you don’t need to take a test for. Why isn’t it like a hunting license? 

Some anglers cannot I.D. a fish let alone know the seasons or LIMITS . There is plenty of info on line and in books to I.D. fish species , including invasive species.

I believe there's a least 5 languages to inform people . It does get complicated when it comes to slot size and limit combos like trout . It's up to us to do the homework or face fines ,ect. In this case I wasn't thrilled to see the sturgeon tossed back that way . 

2 hours ago, Darryl L said:

From what I understand they cannot leave the water, you definitely can not pose for pictures with them, and the torpedo release after that long out of the water was pretty bad.

I'm not sure if that rule is the same when catching a OOS  bass , pike ect . I've read on line that a quick picture is OK but it is probably different for protected species . I got a quick photo of an eel last year ( 2 of us fishing) They get tangled up in the line which needs to be cut away . The MNR should have very clear rules on this. 

7 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

If a fish is out of season then it must be released immediately.  So no pictures. 

Technically yes. If a game warden was standing there, warning could be issued.

OK It was a  partial change for photos for in season fish.

In February 2023, we consulted on proposed changes to the rules around the immediate release of fish. The proposed changes would:

• allow anglers to delay the release of a fish caught during the open season for that species, only long enough to photograph, measure and weigh, if the fish is of a restricted size or over daily catch and possession limits
  • require the immediate release of fish that are out of season, are species at risk or are otherwise prohibited under the existing recreational fishing rules

1 hour ago, Chrisb said:

OK It was a  partial change for photos for in season fish.

I knew there was something like this going on I remember doing a survey about it. 

I know a fellow who targets them there. SHHHHHHHH..................................Daniel

2 minutes ago, boogaloo said:

I know a fellow who targets them there. SHHHHHHHH..................................Daniel

Go ahead and target them but at least have some way of netting or unhooking them. 

3 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Go ahead and target them but at least have some way of netting or unhooking them. 

I believe it is not legal to target them.

Jerry B. (rip) past SCGFA president saw some guys targeting , catching and keeping sturgeon there about 15 years ago . He called the MNR & police came and they were arrested , apparently they were sending the roe to Russia and had one in a cooler in their truck. .  They were using 'obvious'  sturgeon gear and baits to catch them. 

Sturgeon are caught accidently when using common baits like worms & minnows . I  fought one years ago that took my roe bag . The hook popped out after a long battle but I had a few seconds to see it 6 ft. away . But , I'd rather catch a 50 lb. carp ! 🙃