Remove hook from our body

I'm sure some of you have had an experience with an embedded hook as I had one removed at a hospital  after waiting for over 8 hrs.  I said to the young doctor it was a carp hook embedded into my finger & he asked if it was a "circle hook". I said it was a small hook with a slight curve & small barb. I'm glad it wasn't a large circle hook ! 

It's a good thing to have a decent wire cutter handy & have some knowledge how to remove hooks without doing nerve damage , and a visit to a doc (clinic) to stop infection  . I don't like the way I saw hooks removed quickly with string ect. by pulling it backwards , it may hook a nerve or tendon !

I started this video at 1:30 .  Would you guys  do this on site or head to the hospital ? Would a small clinic remove this hook ? Fishing solo makes a difference also .... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTbPjUiohY8

I’ve used the string trick on someone a couple times years ago, and it worked quite well.

The secret is pressing the hook shaft down into the wound channel so when you pull, the barb rides out cleanly in the entry channel, and not snagging on side tissue.

Gruesome ! That would be a trip to a hospital ! It looks like the barb is well into the knuckle bone . 

How long did you wait to get it removed ? The needles to freeze were the worse part of my ordeal ! 

I had to enlarge the photo to get a better look !  I hope your knock out punch is right handed !   👊

Screenshot 2024-05-24 112340.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

In regards to the video, probably unnecessary to use a cable cutter to cut the hook point IF you can squeeze the barb down with pliers, then simply rotate the hook out..One trip to Cuba I put a #4 fly into my finger tip..The barbs aren't terribly big on smaller Saltwater hooks but enough to get buried.My guide unhooked it by simply rotating the hook out, just like I unhook my fish now...I dont pull straight out, just grab hook on the bend with pliers, then twist your wrist...I'm sure most of you guys know this already, but some don't..Of course it can be a bit different with trebles...

1 hour ago, Dave said:

In regards to the video, probably unnecessary to use a cable cutter to cut the hook point IF you can squeeze the barb down with pliers, then simply rotate the hook out..One trip to Cuba I put a #4 fly into my finger tip..The barbs aren't terribly big on smaller Saltwater hooks but enough to get buried.He unhooked it my simply rotating the hook out, just like I unhook my fish now...I dont pull straight out, just grab hook on the bend with pliers, then twist your wrist...I'm sure most of you guys know this already, but some don't..Of course it can be a bit different with trebles...

I’m getting queasy just thinking about hooks in fingers.