How was opener?

Ross

How’d everyone do for bass opener? 

I tried going to Chippawa Creek Conservation at 8 when it opened but it seemed like everyone else showed up earlier and just parked before the gate… I’ve never seen it that busy. No room to fish so I braved the bugs and heat and hiked into my main spot for a couple bass.

Lots of uninterested fish and we were only able to get bites on the wacky rig and ned on the fall. Managed two okay bass but nothing to get excited about. Had to put it right in front of their noses, think the heat played a part in that. Anybody get bit with moving baits? I tried swimbaits, chatterbaits and even some real finesse swimjigs and got nothing.  

On a side note, that was a very busy looking Saturday all the spots on Gibson were just loaded with cars and even the MNR was out which is nice to see. First time I’ve ever seen them on foot.

Good to see the MNR out at Gibson , hope the anglers left the banks clean . 

And there are signs posted informing people not to eat the fish from there.

Bit surprised since I normally see about 20-30 boats out in front of the cottage around the points on opener. I didn't notice that this year.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2024 at 10:54 AM, smerchly said:

Good to see the MNR out at Gibson , hope the anglers left the banks clean . 

And there are signs posted informing people not to eat the fish from there.

I am new to St. Catharines, my son and law and I took out his 2 float tubes onto Gibson, saw lots of jumping and tons on the fish finder but didn't hit any, I was replying to the post just to ask why do they say not to eat fish from there?? 

19 minutes ago, genec said:

Thought you werent allowed to go into Gibson with anything.

Are you not????? My bad for not looking into the waterways and rules, bad call.   We assumed no motors and that floating wouldn't be a problem.  

1 hour ago, CrankySpinner said:

Are you not????? My bad for not looking into the waterways and rules, bad call.   We assumed no motors and that floating wouldn't be a problem.  

According to signs there, even fishing on shore is like trespassing. 🤨

Depending where you were, just be aware of currents and not take chances.

43 minutes ago, Port_D_Guy said:

According to signs there, even fishing on shore is like trespassing. 🤨

Depending where you were, just be aware of currents and not take chances.

we launched the floats on decew road right after you turn right when coming in from brock.  

11 minutes ago, CrankySpinner said:

we launched the floats on decew road right after you turn right when coming in from brock.  

I have gone ahead and pulled up the info, we shouldn't have been in there.   New resident mistake.   its too bad, its as least invasive a way you could be on the lake, our flippers are the engine.   But I get it with its purpose, and I did hit a strong current that was quite a job to get out of.   Its too bad, the fish finder was absolutely lit in places you can't get from shore ( even though we didn't land any ) ,  well know for next time, shore fishing it is. 

I know of a spot in that area that would be a lot safer in a tube, but you run the risk of being caught by Niagara Regional, since its part of the drinking water system.

Martindale (12 Mile) you have to watch for rowers and coach boats......and current in spots. Some out of the way areas that don't see traffic.

4 hours ago, Port_D_Guy said:

I know of a spot in that area that would be a lot safer in a tube, but you run the risk of being caught by Niagara Regional, since its part of the drinking water system.

Martindale (12 Mile) you have to watch for rowers and coach boats......and current in spots. Some out of the way areas that don't see traffic.

The SCGFA held fishing derbies there with permission from the Water  Works  Commission . We caught bass mostly and some perch pike and crappie .

We used to sneak in over a fence and use U-20 flat fish for smallies , we had a blast !  

21 hours ago, CrankySpinner said:

The MNR launches their boat at a short roadway just before the bridge and there's some strong current going under the bridge , lots of carp there

You may want to try Jordan Harbour at the conservation park . There's a cement ramp there. Catch carp, cats, pike, gar, perch, drum , ect. ect. 

It ain't Lake Nipissing though ......☺️