New to Carp Fishing

I am New too Carp Fishing and a Friend of mine is Working with me on this. Tomorrow Tuesday we are going to try Port Dalhousie in the Morning and going to stop in at Pete,s to see if they have Carp Stuff for me to pickup. Wish me LUCK..... LOL 🤪

Fishing Dalhousie is a tough spot unless your fishing martindale pond. 
Do you have all the equipment?

rods/reels

net, landing mat

hair rigs, pop up boilies/fake corn

baiting needle, hair stops

peters has a decent selection to get you started. For online I’d order from carpkit.com   Simon is a great guy, he’s local and  shipping 2-3days. 

Good luck, take some pics and lets us know how you make out. 

2 hours ago, Loonietoon1 said:

Hi Tyler. I bought a New Rod & Reel, Have Net and my friend has the other stuff he has fished for years and from Germany

Do you plan on fishing the harbour/lake or above the hydro/four falls for carp ? Parking can be hard to find at some spots as they are doing construction at Rennie  Park building the new finish line structure for the summer rowing races. 

I bought my carp rods , reels ,ect. from Peter's Tackle and they will also spool up your reels ect. 

Nicer weather for us ancient humans this week , hope to get some carp time in .  :Gonefishing:

I'm am by no means a Carp expert. Since you live in Hammertown I would be fishing Hamilton harbour, its loaded with Carp there...I've only managed 2 on my fly rod there but thats a lot tougher than using bait.I believe I fished pier 8, but honestly they are EVERYWHERE in that harbour..They also fish the marina on the north shore, can't remember the name.. 

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

Do you plan on fishing the harbour/lake or above the hydro/four falls for carp ? Parking can be hard to find at some spots as they are doing construction at Rennie  Park building the new finish line structure for the summer rowing races. 

I bought my carp rods , reels ,ect. from Peter's Tackle and they will also spool up your reels ect. 

Nicer weather for us ancient humans this week , hope to get some carp time in .  :Gonefishing:

I believe we are going to try the Harbour Lake area as l need lots of room with 12ft Rod to practice LOL

1 hour ago, Dave said:

I'm am by no means a Carp expert. Since you live in Hammertown I would be fishing Hamilton harbour, its loaded with Carp there...I've only managed 2 on my fly rod there but thats a lot tougher than using bait.I believe I fished pier 8, but honestly they are EVERYWHERE in that harbour..They also fish the marina on the north shore, can't remember the name.. 

Dave we drove around last night but he wants to try Port Dalhousie and check out Pete's Also

1 hour ago, Dave said:

LaSalle  ;)

And ya, the bay is loaded with multitude of species and would a far better choice for Carp than Dalhousie.
If you end up down that way Kelvin let me know, I might be able to walk by with the pup.

5 hours ago, Spiel said:

LaSalle  ;)

And ya, the bay is loaded with multitude of species and would a far better choice for Carp than Dalhousie.
If you end up down that way Kelvin let me know, I might be able to walk by with the pup.

Are you talking about meeting at Lasalle Chris

Well Kevin , how did you guys make out ?  I did a Gibson run today for a few hours and christened my new carp net . A guy with his dog came by and chatted for 15 minutes & my rods were behind me & I forgot my alarms . After he left I saw one rod was turned 60 degrees on my stand .I started reeling and saw my spool was half empty ! There was a fish on the line and it went into a weed bed down yonder ! I finally got it out of the weeds and netted it ....very spunky for a 10.5 lb carp !  I had another hit which took off like a jet ,ran out 80' of line and got off . Sometimes they get off those barbless hooks , time to use the hair rigs again . I was using Corn Pops wich are hard but get soft quickly and float . They will work better on the hair than the hook . I'll remember to take the alarms next time !! First time fishing this spot.

....my first carp for 2024 and first one to stink up my new net ! BTW ....how do you guys clean your carp nets ?

first carp 2024.jpg

Gibby carp spot.jpg

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

Well Kevin , how did you guys make out ?  I did a Gibson run today for a few hours and christened my new carp net . A guy with his dog came by and chatted for 15 minutes & my rods were behind me & I forgot my alarms . After he left I saw one rod was turned 60 degrees on my stand .I started reeling and saw my spool was half empty ! There was a fish on the line and it went into a weed bed down yonder ! I finally got it out of the weeds and netted it ....very spunky for a 10.5 lb carp !  I had another hit which took off like a jet ,ran out 80' of line and got off . Sometimes they get off those barbless hooks , time to use the hair rigs again . I was using Corn Pops wich are hard but get soft quickly and float . They will work better on the hair than the hook . I'll remember to take the alarms next time !! First time fishing this spot.

....my first carp for 2024 and first one to stink up my new net ! BTW ....how do you guys clean your carp nets ?

first carp 2024.jpg

Gibby carp spot.jpg

Hi  smerchly, we were there lookin around but to windy and the flow was to fast. Went to Pete's and dropped about $60.00 then off to Port Maitland and tried to Fish with Strong winds also so no Fish. Was great to be out though🤣

The carp were jumping infront of me and some smaller fish were nibbling my baits . When the carp took the bait they took off like rockets . I'll give it another go with hair rigs , maybe tomorrow .....

I used this simple rig with the bait on the hook. I use these hooks that have a small curve which helps keep them from coming out but those hard head shakes can lose them.  It's good to see the carp back in class at Gibby again.

Gib carp rig.jpg

2 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

I don't clean off the smell of victory :)

my net has been bone dry all season :(

congrats on the 10lber 

HA !  I hosed it down & let it air dry over the fence , still smells like tuna.

time to stink up that net Tyler ...

The second carp in the photos was about the same size.  

6 hours ago, smerchly said:

first carp 2024.jpg

Gibby carp spot.jpg

Smerchly, goingto give it another shot next week to many things on the go this week, Hamilton Harbour next week

16 hours ago, Loonietoon1 said:

Smerchly, goingto give it another shot next week to many things on the go this week, Hamilton Harbour next week

Keep me posted Kelvin, I'm always out walking my pup and if I can catch you with you while you're fishing on the Bay I will endeavour to to do so.