Carping at Gibby

I gave it another go for a few hours today but  the action was slow . One hard hit and fish was gone and one hit that hit so hard and moved my rod into the alarm and knocking the battery cover off the alarm . It was only about 10 lb. but full of spunk . I was fishing a little deeper in a nice shady spot ....will try there again ....need to go to Peters to get another alarm.

and I left my camera in the van !  

BTW ....hello again Bill Trush ,  it was nice to see you after a year or so and good to see you are doing well . I'll keep an eye out for those tasty perch !    👀

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

Hopefully we can meet up for a carp session soon smerch I need to put one on the bank. Going to be a hot one today stay in the shade if you get out fishing. 

I'm a shady person Tyler and I fished under a black alder tree with plenty of shade with a nice breeze coming from the lake , perfect conditions except the fish didn't fancy my corn pops !  I'll be tending my plants today , everything is growng fast , eating beets , lettuce , stawberries ,spinach & planting carrots today . Lots of shade in the back yard ! 

• 4 weeks later...

Got a couple hours in near Beaverdams today ,kept real busy catching small carp , cats and white bass using a 10' rod and a can of corn . Lots of fish breaking water and the bite was constant. Some of those 2-3 lb. carp hit hard and put out a good scrap for their size. The water viz. there is almost zero so they must smell the corn . 

I was hoping a larger carp would take the corn but it would be a task with the 10# mono and light rod. I was there to have fun with the smaller fish. I noticed the water was very clear throughout Gibson , maybe time for the Big carp rods.

small carp.JPG

gib cat.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I fished Gibby for a few hours today ,tried maize on a hair rig & corn pops on a hair. Carp were jumping and rolling all over but not a touch for 2 hours . Then a hard hit on the corn & for a minute I didn't think it was a carp as it took off so fast to my left near the surface, but it was a carp about 10 lbs., very feisty & clean.  Another hard hit peeled off the line and something happened to my reel . The front drag got very loose & got a bird nest . I had to hold the line until it snapped . I had it set properly so I'll have to check out that reel .THEN ....I looked for a new rig in my back pack & not one hook in there , left them on my work bench ! It was getting very humid so I packed it in. I'll be back ! 

Enjoyable day !   :Gonefishing:

On 8/8/2024 at 7:44 PM, smerchly said:

I fished Gibby for a few hours today ,tried maize on a hair rig & corn pops on a hair. Carp were jumping and rolling all over but not a touch for 2 hours . Then a hard hit on the corn & for a minute I didn't think it was a carp as it took off so fast to my left near the surface, but it was a carp about 10 lbs., very feisty & clean.  Another hard hit peeled off the line and something happened to my reel . The front drag got very loose & got a bird nest . I had to hold the line until it snapped . I had it set properly so I'll have to check out that reel .THEN ....I looked for a new rig in my back pack & not one hook in there , left them on my work bench ! It was getting very humid so I packed it in. I'll be back ! 

Enjoyable day !   :Gonefishing:

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

Smerch did you make a new post all I see is an older one that looks like you went to qoute it. 

Oops ,yes Tyler I started to reply on my Gibby carp post and went out to water the dog ....

I tried the same spot again & it was a slow day with one small carp caught with maize on a hair rig . 

Water was clean and flat with a few fish breaking water , maybe a bass or two.  A young boy was fishing near me with his grandfather tossing lures and they were quite excited to hear my alarm go off and watch me land the carp in that big triangle net while the carp got tangled up with the other rod ! I spent a few hours today putting fresh rigs on my carp rods. Cooler days coming this week and hopefully some rain.  More carp days ahead.  :Gonefishing:

I really need  to get out carping. Works been busy and when I’m not working it’s because it’s raining.  
I do have the annual Canadian carp society social in a month.  
Last time I carp fished I opened my rod bag and had a broken rod tip. 

I’ve tried Gibby 3-4 times in the last month, nada. Was starting to think it was me that forgot how to fish. It’s been a few years. Good to know it’s tough bite right now. Hopefully gunna get out this weekend and try again. 

I have been fishing a shallower spot there for the past 2 weeks. I have to cast over weed beds where the old shore line drops off quickly to about 6 -8 fow. The carp have been active jumping in deeper water as well. My old frozen maize on the hair has been the preferred bait. Maybe boilies would get more action.

IMG_2086Gib carp.JPG

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

I have been fishing a shallower spot there for the past 2 weeks. I have to cast over weed beds where the old shore line drops off quickly to about 6 -8 fow. The carp have been active jumping in deeper water as well. My old frozen maize on the hair has been the preferred bait. Maybe boilies would get more action.

IMG_2086Gib carp.JPG

Nice to see 3 rods out smerch. 

The rod on the left is my "80's" custom Fenwick  8 ft. salmon rod made by Don Furman. It is too lively in that spot as it is difficult to get the carp over the drop off risking the line to break while being raked over the rocks . The 12' carp rods can get the carp over the drop off much easier, and the line must be checked after each fish was caught.

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

The rod on the left is my "80's" custom Fenwick  8 ft. salmon rod made by Don Furman. It is too lively in that spot as it is difficult to get the carp over the drop off risking the line to break while being raked over the rocks . The 12' carp rods can get the carp over the drop off much easier, and the line must be checked after each fish was caught.

Are you rocking braid or mono?