New to St. Catharines on week 4 of not catching a thing. Slow for everyone?

Hey everyone, I am new to the area, moved here from Northern Ontario and walleye is usually what I am going for.  Not asking for anyone's spots lol, I have gotten lots a great direction at Peters tackle (awesome store), So my son in law and I have have spent a lot of time down at port dalhousie, we've walked the wall, tried everything in our gear, just for any bite and we aren't getting anywhere.  We did Lake Gibson yesterday wanted to hit some pike we heard that's usually a pretty solid bet and again nothing, we were out on the lake in our floater tubes and marking like crazy on the fish finder and got nothin,  lots jumping none biting.  Just at the point we want to catch just one nice fish to get the adrenaline fix, we have had some rock bass but thats like being served light beer... its alright but need more to it.   So just any advice or insight for any of these areas?    We have been to Port D, Martindale pond (floating, not on shore), Lake Gibson (floating, not on shore), We don't have an actual boat, just his float tubes and I have a 17ft canoe.   But so far besides the 2 floats we did, we are shoring it.   Thanks for any input everyone. 

PS.   Is there not anywhere in this area to get live minnows???  Back home that's pretty much our go to for walleye so still getting used to trying to land without it.   I miss my shiners. 

Welcome to the forum

looks like you’ve fished most of the spots in the area.  Not sure how port is in the summer but once fall comes in So do the salmon/trout. 
You can try Welland or Niagara rivers. 

3 hours ago, CrankySpinner said:

Hey everyone, I am new to the area, moved here from Northern Ontario and walleye is usually what I am going for.  Not asking for anyone's spots lol, I have gotten lots a great direction at Peters tackle (awesome store), So my son in law and I have have spent a lot of time down at port dalhousie, we've walked the wall, tried everything in our gear, just for any bite and we aren't getting anywhere.  We did Lake Gibson yesterday wanted to hit some pike we heard that's usually a pretty solid bet and again nothing, we were out on the lake in our floater tubes and marking like crazy on the fish finder and got nothin,  lots jumping none biting.  Just at the point we want to catch just one nice fish to get the adrenaline fix, we have had some rock bass but thats like being served light beer... its alright but need more to it.   So just any advice or insight for any of these areas?    We have been to Port D, Martindale pond (floating, not on shore), Lake Gibson (floating, not on shore), We don't have an actual boat, just his float tubes and I have a 17ft canoe.   But so far besides the 2 floats we did, we are shoring it.   Thanks for any input everyone. 

PS.   Is there not anywhere in this area to get live minnows???  Back home that's pretty much our go to for walleye so still getting used to trying to land without it.   I miss my shiners. 

If you're shore fishing locally, focus your efforts after dark.  I'm sure your luck will change.  

32 minutes ago, kevin said:

If you're shore fishing locally, focus your efforts after dark.  I'm sure your luck will change.  

Need to watch where you fish at night these days , the druggies come out at night .  :ph34r:

At one time there were 5 or 6 paper mills in Thorold , now closed . The water at Gibson should be cleaner now . They don't want people disturbing the sediment thus no wading , boating and no ice fishing . 

The MNR has launched their boats just east of the new bridge on Decew Rd. near the Aboriginal monument . The current is very fast in that area .

The carp seem to be biting better this year , maybe that's what was on the screen with a few drum and cats.

8 hours ago, CrankySpinner said:

Where did you live north?

8 hours ago, CrankySpinner said:

Lake Gibson (floating, not on shore)

I am pretty sure you are not allowed to be out on Gibson in any watercraft. I do think they patrol the area or at least they used to. Im not telling you to stop as I wish we could but just letting you know.

Focus on the Lower river if it's accessible to you. It gets little pressure this time of year and you will stay busy with smallies, and the chances of something unexpected hitting are always good. Tubes, dropshot  and especially small spoons(cleos,kroc,Williams) are a killer multispecies bait just jigged along any drop off that looks good to you. Nice hike and lots of spots between metal stairs and whirlpool if your up to that kind of thing

It's tough right now for sure but Gibson is a good area to keep trying at. I mainly target bass and have caught a few now in that area this year so far. Pretty much only on Ned baits and Texas rigs.

For me the best fishing here is usually a tough hike in... Around the canal has some nice spots but they can be a pain to get to, most of them have actually been fenced off too. I know guys who target walleye off the pier in Port Dalhousie but I've never caught an eye in Niagara personally.

I believe Erie Tracker Outfitters has minnows usually, I'd call first before you make the trek though.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, CrankySpinner said:

Well 3 nights ago FINALLY after almost 2.5 months the skunk zone has ended at Port Dalhousie with this beauty walleye at about 11:30pm walking the wall.   My faith has been restored. 

452915331_1525657858136045_5129380904690273796_n.jpg

452273907_954661239793700_3411475536352820561_n.jpg

Nice catch. 🎉 

I tried Gibby for an hour tossing soft swim baits , water is still murky from the recent rains but no luck , so I wanted to try the 12 since the water is still low as the regatta finishes  this week .Water vis about 2 ft. with lots of weed beds for the fish to hunt for food .I went to the Glendale bridge to go below to fish there but was met by a security guy who said I can't park there as large construction vehicles were working down stream about 1/2 km. They are working on a large culvert project for draining water from the Glenridge area so no access for fishing as they dump loads of stone along the trail .So I went to the west side down the "zig zag" hill and fished my old carp spot where weed beds ran along the receded shore, but only caught one small bass on a tube , no luck on the swim baits ,but lots of snags on the rough bottom. 

Now the Grrrrrrr part .....so much garbage at Gibby and the 12, as expected from the slob people , including many pop cans , beer cans and shopping carts that have been there for centuries , and some nut job took the time to roll up a ball  of heavy mono then toss it in the bushes ?? !!! My legs are shot from walking up that hill, but I had  enough energy left to cut my grass tonight. Ready for more action tomorrow (I think) 

a few shots ....

12 mile work.JPG

12 mile carts.JPG

12 fishing line.JPG

12 carp spot.JPG

6 hours ago, Port_D_Guy said:

Well placed shopping carts make for excellent lure collectors. 

Someone beat me to the lure stash PDG and I contributed to a few soft baits to the carts in the deeper depths. Where can I rent some scuba gear ? 

As a side note , I usually see lots of minnows near those weed beds but there were none , hence not many fish there. Where did they go ?