Need Good Deep Cycle Battery

genec

Who in Niagara sells a GOOD deep cycle battery?

I’ve gone through a few CTC Nautilus batteries in the past years, and they don’t seem to be able to last more than 2-3 years, even with minimal boat use and recharging. Have 2 now, and one is nearly dead and the other seems like its dying soon.  Frustrating!

Bought a deep cycle from Costco five years back and sill working great. Supplies 5+ hours for my Minn Kota Max 40. I'm always moving around so the battery is really being tested.

I did some research then settled on a Energizer AGM marine group 31 deep cycle branded battery made by Johnson Controls and got it from costco canada website , its pretty stout around 63 pounds with 200 reserve mins , 100 amp hours, 850 CA, 1000 CCA ,top posts, it was 278 $ after core return a few years ago to Niagara falls costco, ,Excellent battery. If budget isn't a issue get a Dakota Lithium from Pro battery on hwy 20 .

On 7/27/2024 at 1:41 AM, NiagaraRiverFisher said:

If budget isn't a issue get a Dakota Lithium from Pro battery on hwy 20

How does charging work on Lithium? Do you need a new charger or are they setup to work on regular 12 volt chargers.

On 7/29/2024 at 8:03 PM, Chrisb said:

How does charging work on Lithium? Do you need a new charger or are they setup to work on regular 12 volt chargers.

This is from the Dakota lithium website.  

Do I need a special charger for lithium batteries?

All Dakota Lithium and most lithium-ion batteries require a higher voltage than lead acid batteries to fully charge and perform best when charged with a lithium specific battery charger that charges at 14.4 – 14.8 Volts. This includes Dakota Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) and Lithium Nickel Manganese Cobalt (NMC) batteries. A battery charger for a lead acid battery will work to partially charge a lithium battery, but only to a maximum of 60-80% of the lithium battery’s capacity. The voltage level of a full lead acid battery is about a volt lower than the voltage of a full lithium battery. As a result, the lead acid charger will think the battery is “full” once it reaches the lower voltage that is associated with a full lead acid battery. The result is lead acid battery chargers work, but only charge to 60-80% of the lithium battery’s capacity. Please note that lead acid chargers do not damage the battery, they just prevent the battery from reaching it’s full capacity and performance potential. The performance limitations of lead acid chargers being used for lithium batteries is significant enough that most lithium battery owners prefer to use lithium specific chargers. Lithium specific chargers maximize the performance and value of a lithium battery.

Yes, an alternator can charge a lithium-ion battery, but if a regulator is not used, optimal performance will be impossible to achieve and battery lifespan will be reduced. Lithium-ion batteries require 2 phases for proper charging. Constant current and then constant voltage.

I copied that. 

Get the 60ah Dual Purpose Dakota Lithium battery.   Its a starter and deep cycle battery so it's meant to connect to an alternator.   But double check the specs and your outboard alternator output to see if they're compatible. 16lbs!

Check out TRU Off Grid in Milton or online. Best prices I've seen and very helpful.  

Just now, Cleithrum said:

Get the 60ah Dual Purpose Dakota Lithium battery.   Its a starter and deep cycle battery so it's meant to connect to an alternator.   But double check the specs and your outboard alternator output to see if they're compatible. 16lbs!

Check out TRU Off Grid in Milton or online. Best prices I've seen and very helpful.  

Comes with its own charger too

Pro battery in allenburg , they have procharge which I've had for 3 years now as a house battery deep cycle . They also carry crown batteries which have been really good on my bow mount 80lb electric.