Some Gardening Stuff

I bought a yard of triple mix soil for my veggie gardens & the plants need watering 3 times per day and are doing 'so so' in this heat. My 'other' garden is a pile of clay taken from the new fence post holes & there's some mulched leaves mixed in. Like last year the cherry tomatoes and cucs grow twice as fast as the 'good dirt'. And it holds water much longer than the 'better' soil' and I have been enjoying nice fresh (pickle) cucs for a week now plus leaf veggies and beans . When it's too hot to fish, it's a good way to spend time outdoors to keep busy and get some fresh air. 

These " lunch box" cherry tomatoes come up everywhere every year and are loaded with sweet tasting tomatoes. They are about 7 ft. tall now and will go another 2 ft. The cucs  grow all through the tomato plants & they get about 3 hours of sun per day. 

.....waiting for a cloudy day to do more shore fishing ..too damn hot for this old bird this week ! 

Clay toms and Cucs.JPG

Same here smerch.

I’m never able to grow anything in newly delivered soil. I’ve tried triple mix, top soil and the middle of the road compost mix.

Nothing seems to grow until a few years after putting it down.

11 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

That Canoe looks like it needs some water 😉

That old canoe has seen lots of rough water during our hunting/fishing days. It needs a leak test after sitting dry for a few years. It weighs 90 lbs.

11 hours ago, Markster said:

Nothing seems to grow until a few years after putting it down.

That stuff dries very quickly and I'll be mixing it with the clay/mulch soil for next year. I tried container growing but the plants don't do well except the leaf and Romain lettuce. There will be tons of cherry tomatoes again and lots of 'mini' cucs. In the fall I get tons of maple leaves and I have a machine that chops them into fine pieces and some of that goes into the clay and some is broadcast on the grass .