Carping at Rennie P.

smerchly

Water is clearing nicely but the carp were scarce , but managed to catch 2 small ones under 5 lbs. It was nice to be out there under a tree and watching the cormorants flying over me

.....where are the carp ?? Maybe here.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBsIYDAXew4

13 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

At least you got some action smerch. 
Crazy video 

I’ll be fishing at Lawrence river next sun-Tues. hopefully put some carp on the bank. 

I've seen the cormorants take down good size perch , trout and a small pike. There doesn't seem to be as many these days. I'll try Rennie again tomorrow after dropping in to Peter's on my way , need another alarm for when using a third rod which I use for experiment baits .

Good luck on the Lawrence Tyler , some big ass carp there . 

Spent the day at Rennie again today , 3 carp, one got me into a heavy weed bed , a real task getting it to shore. Talked to a few nice people , one came back with a coffee drink for me while we talked. He talked about the big carp in Germany, another 'elderly' man fished nearby with all the latest carp gear and two others close to me who were from Pakistan and were very interesting to chat with. They suddenly ran over to the elderly man who fell in the rocks and couldn't get up . they got him to his chair and got his rod out of a tree and he seemed to be ok but unsteady on his feet , hope he is ok. There are short tree stumps all along the shore that you have to be aware of.

The younger man beside me was catching a few pannies and a young heron landed beside him and ate the small perch, only 4 feet from him....and waited for him to catch 3 more small fish and took them also. As I left at 5:30 the heron was only 10 feet from me looking for handouts.

All in all , a very nice enjoyable day with a few fish to boot.

On 9/17/2024 at 9:58 PM, Tyler0420 said:

Sounds like a great day. Can’t believe the heron was taking hand outs. 

Two people were taking videos/photos of the heron, maybe I will get an email from one of them or find it on Y-tube.

....found this on YT....Herons are similar to the cormorants to eat large fish , and the herons also prey on gofers and other small animals.

This guy stabbed the fish & dunked it a few times to get it down the hatch . It must take a while for the fish to exit , hope it wasn't too painful !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgiopIAt1FY