Moose Hunt

Just back from our annual moose hunt from the 19th through 28th in WMU 26

It was stinking hot up until Monday when it cooled down a bit.  It was a tough hunt but managed with only responses to the calling were a couple unbelievably loud "Roars" from Bull, but they weren't coming in to the call.

After spending 6 straight days calling from a beaver pond, I decided to cut my losses and move to a back bay on Thursday morning. After setting up and calling for a few hours, I heard some splashes in the lake behind my calling spot. Thinking it was possible a moose sneaking in to wind me, I crept back through the brush to the lake shore and no moose, damn. So I worked my way back to my calling spot, thinking I would give it another hour (now 10 AM) and then go fishing. As I came up to my spot I caught the shape of what looked like ears poking above some Alder clumps about 240 yards away. Part of "moose stump", no doubt but looked at them through my rangefinder and boy they did look like ears, then one moved. I did a soft moan and now a nose appeared. Now the adrenaline has my heart racing, it disappears then pops back up with another soft moan, but soon turns and disappears to the left into the brush and trees that separates us. I was afraid it would circle in behind me to catch my scent but after  playing some “cat and moose” I coaxed it out into the open with some calls.

I was hoping that a bull would follow but didn’t happen, given then it was the second last day of the hunt I didn't want to risk waiting too long for a Bull to possibly appear, as she was pretty skittish, so  Moose down!

IMG_4630.jpeg

IMG_4613.jpeg

IMG_4665.jpeg

IMG_4672.jpeg

IMG_4641.jpeg

Congrats Surf & Turf. I'm sure you feel the same as I do, it took us to an advanced age before we really knew how to hunt moose. Your lessons learned in the bush for many years are paying off now. Looking forward to our upcoming hunt, after 2 years with no tag, we got picked for a bull this year

3 hours ago, verado said:

Congrats Surf & Turf. I'm sure you feel the same as I do, it took us to an advanced age before we really knew how to hunt moose. Your lessons learned in the bush for many years are paying off now. Looking forward to our upcoming hunt, after 2 years with no tag, we got picked for a bull this year

Thanks Verado, yes it does a take a long time to even half ass, figure them out. Just when you think you have it mastered they serve you up some humble pie! 

Hope how have a fun and successful hunt!

Congrats Surf and Turf , that is a nice well fed cow!  They have the nose and ears to detect strangers in their midst. you need to keep your composer and be cool to get them to investigate the strangers in town .

You were not too far from where I hunted moose a couple times. We got on the Polar Bear Express at Cochrane & got off at Moose River  Crossing and headed upstream for one & a half days and set up camp on a nice trib about 100 yds. from the river. We never got a moose even though one walked right over my canoe at !:00 a.m. By morning, no sign of it except tracks from a bull and a cow.....took off together.

I checked the satellite maps , doesn't seem like that little village is still occupied.....

Thanks for the 'memories' , I miss those moose burgers ...